AROHEAD - FITNESS BLOG

AROHEAD - FITNESS BLOG
PIMPRI, PUNE 411018

Sunday, September 11, 2011

Update on my shoulder injury


I had made a personal goal of 2011 to be able to do about 20 continuous pullups. Initially I could do about 4 or 5, but I started pushing things around mid-May and was managing to do about 10 or 12. To push things even further I started doing about 50 free pullups thrice a week. In mid-July I had a seemingly minor injury while doing pullups. There was mild discomfort and a minor clicking sound while abducting my left arm just over 90degrees. I also had some pain right at the tip of the acromion process.                
 It did not get worse at the time, but I stopped doing pullups and heavy workouts 1st week of August. I did not get better, but did not get worse either. I tried pullups 2 weeks back and hurt the shoulder again. I was in a lot of pain for 3 days. Now I have resumed good heavy workouts and the mild discomfort still persists. There are 2 particular movements that I have trouble doing:
1.Front raise 2.Pullups.
Instead I have opted to do more of Lat Pulldowns and bent over rows. I have resisted the temptation to do assisted pullups even. I have no trouble doing deadlifts and am still comfortably doing around 150kgs.  I am told that the niggle will persist for some more time and to avoid pullups altogether, which I am. Supraspinatus tendon injuries are very common and can present in a variety of ways. I have attached a picture below to give an indication of where the tear exactly is:
rotator cuff injury
  I will try pullups again end of this month. Hopefully it has healed by then! 

2 comments:

  1. Picture is from :
    http://www.mydr.com.au/sports-fitness/shoulder-pain

    ReplyDelete
  2. Take care Nitin. Sounds ouchy......give it some time to recover before you start pushing it....I know a really good physio in West Ryde if you need some help...tc

    ReplyDelete